Monday, July 12, 2010

Souper Douper

I love making soup, especially in winter. Now, Sydney doesn't have a 'real' winter with snow and ice, but it does get cold enough that you feel uncomfortable without some form of heating. Our house is chilly and we've had the gas fire on at night and most days since late May. Which definitely makes it soup weather.
Celeriac is one of my favourite winter vegetables; it's low in carbs as well as being tasty. I usually either bake it to go with a roast, or mash it like potatoes with thyme and garlic and a bit of olive oil. But yesterday I decided to turn the huge celeriac in my fridge into soup.
I didn't have a recipe to hand so made something up along these lines:

Chop up 1 celeriac into 1" pieces
Chop finely 1 clove of garlic
Finely slice two leeks
Have about 1.5 litres of chicken stock to hand
Grate a bit of fresh nutmeg
To serve: cream and finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, salt and pepper.

Sweat the leeks in a big pot while you're chopping the celeriac and garlic. When they're soft, add the celeriac, garlic, stock and nutmeg, bring to the boil and simmer until the celeriac is soft - about 15 or so minutes.

Puree the soup in a food processor until it's smooth.

Serve with a dollop of cream, a generous sprinkle of parsley and a bit of salt and pepper. Stir the cream through the soup.

Yum!! Enjoy!!

Oh, and the Mac is still in hospital. I'm finding lots of time for cooking as there's so much work I can't do. Hope I get it back today or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment